As part of Service Operations, this position is responsible for monitoring, implementation and support of the networks that provide service to IFN customers. This position will conduct diagnostic investigation of customer-impacting network issues and provide resolution to escalated incidents. This position is responsible for providing Tier 2 technical support to resolve issues within the network.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Verifies new hardware installations and network augments during scheduled maintenance events.
- Supports packet based and waved services by troubleshooting and resolving problems related to service deployment, service assurance, network reliability and customer satisfaction
- Reviews for accuracy and corrects Network Systems, services, and Ethernet protocols in the existing network.
- Works to foster a culture that supports reliability and stability in all areas of responsibility
- Assist NOC management and team leads in mentorship of technicians in the IFN NOC and Service Assurance group
- Engages with vendors and other outside entities as necessary in order to resolve network and service related issues
- Maintain knowledge of devices and protocols as they are introduced by the planning & engineering team.
- Required to work with internal and external systems to document troubleshooting process and procedures to be set forth as guidelines for the IFN NOC
- Participates in special projects and in selected internal meetings
- Works as part of a cross-functional team to conduct network monitoring, remote management and maintenance activities for all network nodes within IFN’s area of responsibility
- Proactively monitors for any potential performance problems and responds in a timely manner to ensure 99.999% network availability
- Acts as escalation point for first level technicians to ensure quick and effective resolutions
- Remotely supports and directs IFN field operations in the areas of maintenance and network restoration
- Redistributes work assignments among tier 1 technicians providing guidance and training as required to meet customer goals for network performance
- Effectively documents all steps taken to resolve identified and/or reported issues
- Documents post implementation network changes
- Documents and reports bugs and issues related to customer and network performance
- Works with internal groups to create reports on up time, bandwidth usage, server utilization, and other key metrics as directed
- This position operates in a 24x7x365 environment, shift work and the ability to participate in an escalation rotation may be required
- Provides recommendations to improve the customer experience
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge to support typical ISP/Ethernet services.
- Familiarity with MEF and Carrier Ethernet services desirable
- Must demonstrate strong knowledge in a subset of the following: OSPF, IP routing, BGP, MPLS, Ethernet loop prevention technologies, SONET, CWDM, DWDM, ROADM and TDM
- Knowledge of IPv4 and IPv6 deployment and practical use
- MOP process (preparation and administration)
- IP & MPLS Fundamentals
- Ethernet Fundamentals
- Familiarity with Telecommunications Equipment
- 2+ years’ experience in an ISP/Ethernet Transport support roles
- Experience level to meet and exceed CCNA level certification
- Advanced experience with Nokia 7750 and 7210 product lines highly desirable
- Experience in Ciena 6500 packet-optical platform desirable
- Exceptional troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Possess the ability to work with customers and vendors at both a layman & technical level
- Good organizational and communications capabilities (i.e. must be able to listen and understand, then communicate orally and in written format) within all levels of an organization
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.