The Fiber Optic Engineer II is responsible for engineering, planning and documenting an advanced optical network. Manage the inventory of the Fiber Strands through the tracking and documentation of Fiber Enclosures, fiber frames, cables, conduits, building data and more.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides design schematics of fiber path and splicing work to be performed for fiber projects, relocation of existing fiber facilities, and restoration of existing traffic
- Documents Fiber Network within system of record as per final redlined construction drawings
- Ensures fiber optic database is current and accurate by inputting data of physical fiber assets and fiber enclosures into the data management system
- Ensures inventory of fiber circuits is accurate by inputting fiber usage data into inventory management database and maintaining information as changes occur.
- Approves minor fiber strand changes on the spot, but discusses major fiber facilities changes with the Outside Plant Manager before implementation
- Reviews constructions plans from outside engineering firms on road projects in order to evaluate if any actions are needed to either move or remove existing fiber optic facilities. Verifies that paperwork is completed properly and submitted in a timely manner
- Coordinates both State and County road construction activities
- Manage all internal and external resources to affect the timely completion of milestones (permitting, engineering and construction targets), and overall projects.
- Obtains and coordinates state and local permits for construction projects (as required)
- Establishes and maintains effective communications and professional working relationships with customers both internal and external
- Communicates with and updates management on progress of OSP projects
- Updates Indiana 811 Database for locates
- May be required to work during maintenance windows (some nights) and will also participate in a weekly on-call rotation
- General telephone knowledge, with specific knowledge of telephone plant construction
- Proficiency in the MS Office suite of tools including MS Visio. Knowledge of Salesforce.com platform is a plus. Knowledge of GIS-based platforms is a plus
- CAD Software
- M4-Mapcom or equivalent
- Must be able to manage multiple RFP and design construction schedules and responses.
- Must be able to understand and read construction documents.
- Familiar with all facets of Outside Plant (OSP) management, including quoting, construction and delivery.
- Fiber optics construction and performance characteristics
- Fiber optic industry standards knowledge
- CWDM and DWDM wave technology
- OSP construction safety practices for OSHA and IOSHA compliance
- Mathematical skills
- Manual drafting skills
- Proficiency in the MS Office suite of tools including MS Visio
- Ability to coordinate tasks and materials
- Attention to detail
- Valid Driver’s License
- Willing and able to work flexible hours when required
- Possess the ability to work with contractors and vendors at both a business & technical level
- Great organizational and communications capabilities (i.e. must be able to listen and understand, then communicate orally and in written format) within all levels of an organization
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.