As part of Service Operations, this position is responsible for monitoring, implementation and support of the networks that provide service to IFN customers. The Senior Network Engineer will provide leadership and direction to the NOC within the Service Operations team. This position is responsible for providing Tier 3 technical support to resolve issues within the network.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Act as implementation manager for service and network events. Provide direction, feedback and coaching to other members of Service Operations.
- Work with the Service Operations Manager on critical issues to establish direction.
- Supports packet based and waved services by troubleshooting and resolving problems related to service deployment, service assurance, network reliability and customer satisfaction
- Reviews for accuracy and corrects Network Systems, services, and Ethernet protocols in the existing network.
- Works to foster a culture that supports reliability and stability in all areas of responsibility
- Assist with mentorship of technicians in the IFN NOC and Service Assurance group.
- Engages with vendors and other outside entities as necessary in order to resolve network and service related issues
- Maintain expert level knowledge of devices and protocols used in the network.
- Maintain responsibility for documenting the troubleshooting process to be set forth as guidelines for the IFN NOC
- Delegates projects and tasks to other NOC employees.
- Works as part of a cross-functional team to conduct network monitoring, remote management and maintenance activities for all network nodes within IFN’s area of responsibility
- Proactively monitors for any potential performance problems and responds in a timely manner to ensure 99.999% network availability
- Acts as escalation point for first and second level technicians to ensure quick and effective resolutions.
- Remotely supports and directs IFN field operations in the areas of maintenance and network restoration
- Redistributes work assignments among Service Operations, providing guidance and training as required to meet goals for network performance and stability
- Effectively see that all steps taken to resolve identified and/or reported issues are documented
- Documents and reports bugs and issues related to customer and network performance
- Works with internal groups to create reports on up time, bandwidth usage, server utilization, and other key metrics as directed
- Possess ability to delegate and provide leadership guidance to a team of engineers and technicians within Service Operations.
- Think critically and deterministically while leading a team during incidents and outages.
- Proactive problem resolution.
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrates expert knowledge to support typical ISP/Ethernet services.
- Strong understanding of MEF and Carrier Ethernet services required
- Must demonstrate advanced to expert knowledge in all of the following: OSPF, IP routing, BGP, MPLS, Ethernet loop prevention technologies, SONET, CWDM, DWDM, ROADM and TDM
- Advanced knowledge of IPv4 and IPv6deployment and practical use
- MOP process (preparation and administration)
- Advanced IP & MPLS
- Advanced Ethernet transport
- Familiarity with Telecommunications Equipment
- 5+ years’ experience in an ISP/Ethernet Transport support roles
- Experience level to meet and exceed CCNP level certifications
- Advanced experience with Nokia 7750 and 7210 product lines highly desirable
- Experience in Ciena 6500 packet-optical platform desirable
- Exceptional troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Possess the ability to work with customers and vendors at both a layman & technical level
- Good organizational and communications capabilities (i.e. must be able to listen and understand, then communicate orally and in written format) within all levels of an organization
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.